“You are the light of the world…nobody lights a lamp and puts it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on a stand, and it gives light to the whole house.” Matthew 5:14-15
Here's how it works:
a. Every service opportunity in the church is listed in one of the teams below. Some of these require very little time commitment, some require more. The ones marked with an * are teams in which the service can be done from anywhere. Not back in person yet? Just look for the * to find a distance-friendly team.
b. Check at least one, but not more than two teams.
c. You’ll be contacted by a staff member after signing up about next steps.
d. Serve in your chosen capacity for six months.
e. If it’s a good fit, then you can sign up for the same teams as many times as you want. If not, no worries. Just don’t sign up for the team the next time we re-commit (this summer), and you’ll automatically roll off.
f. EVERYONE can participate! Older kids? Teenagers? College students? Everyone is welcome to join a ministry team.
Service in the Church
Sunday morning teams:
This is the largest Sunday morning team, and includes ushers, greeters, and parking lot volunteers. These positions have quite a bit of overlap, which is why they are all under the “Greeter Team.”
• Ushers – Make sure everything is set up and ready for the service. Hand out worship supplies before or during the service (communion, bulletins, noisemakers, etc.). Ushers also count attendees and collect the offering each week.
• Greeters – Make sure everyone gets a personal welcome! Greeters stand at the entrances to worship and say a word of welcome to each person. This position becomes important when people get too busy talking to their friends to notice a new person walking up.
• Parking Lot attendants – Stand in the parking lot to greet people and direct them where to go—you don’t know how many people have told us they had no clue which door to go in!
• Arrives early on Sunday to help our audio technician with setup and teardown of equipment.
• This position gets to learn a lot about audio equipment, so it’s a great choice for people interested in learning more about sound.
• This team provides snacks for the services.
• This position helps by setting up and running cameras during service, and help run slides at the Encounter service as well.
• Members of this team also help take pictures and videos that keep the church’s social media feed active and exciting.
• This position helps prepare the sanctuary for worship by changing paraments, filling candles, helping with communion, decorating the sanctuary for Christmas and Easter, and straightening up the sanctuary after worship.
Buildings and grounds
• This position helps keep our church building looking good by keeping an eye on projects that can be done around the building.
• This ministry organizes occasional workdays to invite the whole church to clean and repair things around the building.
• This position spends a few hours during the week answering the phone, letting people in the door, and helping in the office. Most shifts are 9am-noon on a workday.
Events Team – Make Friends
• This team works with staff to help create and run special events throughout the year. Got a streak of creativity and a lot of energy? This is your group.
• This team will oversee all events for children and adults. Depending on how many people join the team, we may divide into smaller groups to focus on events for specific demographics.
Care Team – Serve Others
• This team helps take care of our church members and make sure nobody falls through the cracks. They help with cards, meals, and other outreach to sick, bereaved, families with new babies, and anyone else who needs a little extra love right now.
Mission Team - Serve Others
• This team helps Westminster create and run church-wide mission events throughout the year. In 2021, we’re planning to add an element of mission to as much as possible, so this should be a very active group.
Discipleship Team – Love God
• This team explores Bible Study opportunities and topics and considers what Westminster could offer that would help people grow spiritually. Members of the team might volunteer to teach or lead studies and classes as they feel called.